Join Our MLB Sim League

We have a new MLB Sim League opening here at SI. Head on over to our sign-ups thread for more information.  

Photo

The Legend from Massillion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sabbath

Sabbath

Legend

• Members
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

Foreword: this article got lost in the shuffle of things before I left, but it is by far my best. i know it's late but I worked hard on it and I still think it is a must read. It is at least an interesting way to cover a game. So enjoy the greatest article known to mankind.

The Legend from Massillion

A lot is going on in Lubbock, Texas this time a year. Postseason football is finishing up with a hard-earned bowl game and the basketball team is just starting to heat up. But there is something different in the air down here at Texas Tech, and it will affect college basketball forever.

1961- Twenty-four schools were selected for the annual NCAA tournament. Of course, Adolph Rupp's powerhouse Kentucky team was favored, but they were eliminated by an Ohio State team which had Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, and Bob Knight. Although Ohio St. won the year before, they lost in the finals to Cincinnati and thus began the career of a legend.

"I was a junior at Ohio State and we eliminated Rupp's team from the NCAA Tournament," Knight said. I scored seven or eight points. Beating the ornery old SOB in 1961 was far bigger to me than winning one game more than him as a coach."

After Graduation in 1962, Bob Knight coached Cuyahoga Falls (Ohio) High School and then went over to West Point in 1963 as an assistant. It didn't take long for Knight to get noticed. At the age of 24, Bob Knight was named the head coach of Army basketball, the youngest in Division 1 history.

ERRRRRRRRRRRRR. The final buzzer goes off. The 2006 Texas Tech Red Raiders have just defeated Bucknell 72-60, earning Bob Knight win number 879. 879 wins ties a mark only set by one other coach, Dean Smith. One more win and Bob Knight has the most wins in NCAA basketball history.

"I am tired of being asked about 'me' winning 800-something games. It's such a combination of things, 40 years involving hundreds of players, dozens of assistant coaches, loads of staff members and others who greatly contributed."

From the fans view, those forty years have been fulfilled with success and greatness. From Bob Knights view those 40 years was a set of obstacles he overcame, but was scarred by forever.

Posted Image
Bob Knight coaching

"Defense and fundamentals" Knight would preach day in and day out to his Army teams. The effect was evident. Bob Knight went 102 and 50 during five seasons at Army. Each year, Army was ranked either first or second in the nation on defense under Knight's guidance.

Knight's success at Army made him a superstar. In 1971 when Indiana needed a coach, they offered Bob Knight the job. Soon, Knight was packing his bags for crazy hoop state Indiana. He was getting attention everywhere and Vitale gave him the nickname "The General" for his Army experience.

It didn't take long for Knight to make his impression on Big Ten impression. After a 17 win season his first year, The General would lead his Hoosiers to the final four after a 22 win season in only his second year at the school.

Squeak! Squeak! You can hear all the shoes rubbing against the floor as Texas Tech gets ready for their game against UNLV. The players are pumped for this game because it is more than a win added onto their record. A win make their coach the greatest all-time. A win gives Bob Knight number 880, something that he worked so long and hard to achieve.

February 23rd, 1985- Indiana was not fairing so well when they went up against Purdue. Bob Knight started getting angry early when Steve Alford was called for a questionable foul. Bob got even angrier a minute later when Marty Simmons was called for a foul. Then on the inbound after Simmons's foul, Indian's Daryl Thomas was called for a foul. After a few nice words with the officials, Bob Knight was called for his very own technical foul.

So while Purdue was shooting the technical free throw, a chair came flying across the middle of the paint, thrown none other by Bob Knight. So there comes technical two and as Bob Knight continued to argue with the officials technical number 3 came as well and Bob Knight was ejected.

and then there was a chair on the court

Controversies like these have followed Knight through his whole career. In 1974 and 1975 Bob Knight's teams went 23-5 and 30-1. The Big Bob has always had an ill-temper, but in a 1974 Kentucky game, Bob Knight achieved a first. After a discussion with Kentucky coach Joe B. Hall, Knight slapped him in the back of the head while Coach Hall was returning to the Wildcats bench.

In 1976, Knight accomplished the unaccomplishable. Indiana went 32-0. Bob Knight was coach of the year and he showed no signs of needing anger management. Indiana would win the whole thing, beating Michigan 88-68 in the championship. No Division 1 team has ever gone 32-0 since. I doubt any team ever will. From 1974-1976 the Hoosiers never lost a conference game.

The opening tip kicks off. Both teams start off with a few missed possessions. Texas Tech goes 2-4 on free throws and then UNLV comes back and drains a three, a scenario that Knight has seen many times in his career. Today looks like just any other game, but there is something in the air down in Texas.

1979 was a pretty good year for Bobby. It kicked off with him being arrested in Puerto Rico during the Pan-American Games. Bob Knight supposedly assaulted a police officer because Knight was unhappy about a practice gym not being open. After all that mess was over with and Knight took home the gold, Knight led the Hoosiers and freshman Isaiah Thomas to a 21-8 season. Surprisingly, Indiana did not make the NCAA tournament. However, Knight was able to make the best of his situation, by winning the NIT championship. In 1979, Bob Knight amassed his 300th career victory, the youngest coach to reach that landmark.

The next year was another shining moment in Knight's career. Isaiah Thomas and Knight led the Hoosiers to a 26-9 record. They would also hoist another NCAA tournament title, by blowing out North Carolina 63-50 in the championship game. That makes two for Bobby.

Respectable seasons followed as Indiana went 19-10 in 1981-82 and 24-6 in 82-83, but Knight wouldn't make history again until the end of the 1984 season. Bob Knight's 1983-84 Indiana team went 22-9 and lost in the tournament. So what was so special? Well Bob Knight would guide the USA Olympic team in 1984 to a gold medal (of course Jordan helped a little.) Bob Knight became the third coach ever to win an NIT, NCAA, and Olympic championship and the only coach to combine those three with a Pan-American Games gold medal.

There is about 12:30 left in the game and Texas Tech is down 8-6. They are coming out kind of flat, even the crowd isn't into it. Jerrious Jackson steps up and hits a three to put Texas Tech ahead. Well that sure as hell got the crowd going and I couldn't help but notice the eyes of Steve Alford watching his former coach make history.

Steve Alford was part of that special 87 season. The slick shooting white boy would help Knight guide the Hoosiers to a 30-4 record. They gritted and gritted their way through close games and into the 1987 NCAA tournament final against Derrick Coleman and Syracuse. In this game Steve Alford stepped up, but Keith Smart stepped up even more by hitting the game winning shot. Indiana wins 74-73 and brings home title number three for Bob Knight.

1987 Championship Game Highlights

With 6:20 left Darryl Dora hit a two point jumper to end UNLV's 13-2 run. The score is 21-13. Man those Red Rebels are coming out flat. As I watch closer, you can see Bob Knight working an official for a call, just talking of course. Man has he mellowed through the years, then again, he still is more intense then anyone should ever be. The 1st half draws to a close with UNLV leading 32-23.

The 90's did for Bob Knight what steroids did for baseball, they both were still good but they lost their reputations. Knight had some good teams in the 90's, including one that went 31-4 (92-93). Overall, he went 229-94 in the 90's. (yes, I did the math myself.) In 1991 Bob Knight was elected to the National Basketball Hall of fame.

But the 90's were filled with poor tournament play and controversies. First in 1991 was the lovely tirade that went like this:

"You don't wanna play, then I'm getting the out of here. I mean, if you're not gonna cover Greg Graham; if you're just gonna let him drive by you; if the rest of you are gonna let him catch the ball outside the 3 second lane and drive all the way in here without one guy challenging him, then I'm leaving and you ing guys will run 'til you can't eat supper. Now I'm tired of this ! I'm sick and ing tired of an 8-10 record! I'm ing tired of losing to Purdue! I'm not here to around this week! Now you may be, but I'm not! Now I'm gonna ing guarantee ya, that if we don't play up there Monday night, you aren't gonna believe the next four ing days! Now I am not here to get my beat on Monday. Now you better in' understand that right now. This is absolute ing bull! Now I'll ing run your right into the ground! I mean I'll ing run you, you'll think last night was a ing picnic! I had to sit around for a ing year with an 8-10 record in this ing league! And I mean you will not put me in that ing position again, or you will goddamn pay for it like you can't ing believe! Now you better get your head out of your !"

Then in 1992 was the whole Calbert Chaeny whip incident, in which Knight whipped Chaeny as a staged joke to show how hard practice was. In 1993 Bob Knight kicked his own son, Pat knight during, a game. Oh, wait a minute; I'm sorry it must've been a chair. Then of course there was the throwing a plant at his secretary in 1999, and also throwing his assistant coach, Ron Felling, off a chair and beating him after Felling said "Knight's ranting and raving..... takes the fun out of winning."

In 2000 the thread was hanging by a needle. Former Indiana player Neil Reed claimed he was choked by knight during a practice in 1997. Knight denied the claim but the tape from the practice certainly looked like Knight was choking him. Indiana University President Myles Brand forced a "zero tolerance" policy on Knight in May of 2000.

The 2nd half kicks off with Dora making a lay-up. Texas Tech inches closer to helping their coach make history. UNLV is destined to not let it happen, as they break away and gain a 42-29 lead. Bob Knight calls timeout.

Many of you may have sensed the downfall of Bob Knight back in 2000, or know as you have been reading through my brilliant article. Well my friends it is coming. After a freshman student Kent Harvey reportedly said "Hey Knight, what's up?" Knight grabbed him by the arm and berated him for not showing respect. However, Knight as usual, said Harvey's account was exaggerated. However, it was enough to violate the "zero tolerance" policy. Knight was asked to resign on September 10, 2000 but Knight refused. So he was simply fired.

Knight always had a few things to say

Knight took the next season off and then accepted the job at Texas Tech University saying: "This is the most comfortable red sweater I've had on in six years." Knight quickly made an impact, leading the Red Raiders to a 23-9 record and their first NCAA tournament appearance in 15 years. In then in the next three years the Red Raiders make the tournament two more times, and the NIT once. In 2005-06 Bob Knight had his second career sub-.500 season in which he finished 15-17. And that brings us to this season, this moment, in this history making game.

We are halfway through the second half and Texas Tech is down 61-43. It doesn't look like win number 880 is coming, no not tonight. Of course Bob Knight has felt his share of losses, no doubt about it, 354 of them. But Knight is going to win number 880. He's going to make history, because something is different in the air at Texas tech, and it has something to do with the greatest coach all-time.

This article has been brought to you by Sabbath51
-edited by sabbath51

sabbath51 is not part of the SI Enquirer or the Sportz Reporters, he is an independent writer.

Citations-
http://www.knight880.com/special/stories/assistants.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Knight
http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/20...ight/index.html
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   jarrod2323

jarrod2323

The Godfather

• Head Administrator
  • 45,671 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

damn -- long.. but good read (not to mention I've been a huge fan of Knight despite his mishaps)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   playmaker7

playmaker7

The GOAT

• Hall of Fame
  • 52,918 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:03 AM

WOW. Long, but as jarrod said, good read. Bob Knight is a eccentric man, but a good coach. I didn't know about alot of this stuff.

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Sabbath

Sabbath

Legend

• Members
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:13 PM

WOW. Long, but as jarrod said, good read. Bob Knight is a eccentric man, but a good coach. I didn't know about alot of this stuff.

4 pages on word.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!

• Hall of Fame
  • 58,951 posts
  • NBA Sim League:

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

Great article man. Will look forward to seeing more.

Read the entire thing, it was that interesting for thats length. Good job
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Sabbath

Sabbath

Legend

• Members
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

Great article man. Will look forward to seeing more.

Read the entire thing, it was that interesting for thats length. Good job

Do you guys think the video footage serves better then pictures or no?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!

• Hall of Fame
  • 58,951 posts
  • NBA Sim League:

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

I think they do, because people get more from a video then a photo, but not everything has a video, but these were very fitting videos for the article topic.
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   CB4_Raps

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy

• Members
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

Do you guys think the video footage serves better then pictures or no?

Hell NO!

#9 OFFLINE   Sabbath

Sabbath

Legend

• Members
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hell NO!

Can you explain why you think that?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   CB4_Raps

CB4_Raps

SI's Bad Boy

• Members
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

Can you explain why you think that?

Majority, if not all writers use pictures to illustrate their points.

I can honestly say I've never seen articles with youtube as a reference point to illustrate. Never.

In my opinion, it's something you just don't do in an article, really. Unless you want it to look unprofessional.

#11 OFFLINE   Sabbath

Sabbath

Legend

• Members
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

Majority, if not all writers use pictures to illustrate their points.

I can honestly say I've never seen articles with youtube as a reference point to illustrate. Never.

In my opinion, it's something you just don't do in an article, really. Unless you want it to look unprofessional.

Well my though philosophy was that you can't tape a video to a newspaper, but I guess you are right in the fact even ESPN,Cbs sportsline, etc. don't use videos. however, then again, ESPN probably doesn't use videos because of copyright infringement and they are the first to write about their stories so there are no videos out about it.

anyway Point Taken.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Affiliates & Partners

Social Media

Site Info